Monday 13 August 2012

The Story of Us-Pt 1

I have decided it is time to share the story of how Wes and I met.  I'm no romantic (and no... Wes did not ask me to marry him from underneath my balcony) but I'm so very thankful I met Wes 6 years ago and we have been able to grow up together, getting to know both the good and the bad of each other.  Since it is long, I have decided to split it into a few parts- enjoy:)

It's funny how God decides to orchestrate all the little details in your life. 

I was never a person to date much (yes.. I had those elementary flings... you know the ones where you hold hands and your friends all tell you how you were meant to be forever?).  I had always been more of a friend to many of the guys in my life.  In Spring 2006, I decided I would volunteer my time at Girl's Camp at Joy Bible Camp.  So I started on all the paperwork, the police checks, and getting all the references I would need to work at camp.  I was so excited when I got a reply saying I was accepted to council Girl's Camp!  A few days later, I also got a letter saying I was accepted to Explorer Camp to council (yes, I had not applied for this--- but an extra week to serve God at camp--- I'll take it!)


It was at Explorer Camp that I met Wes. 

Little did we know we had been crossing paths for many years.  We had many common friends, we had both been to camp for many of the same weeks, and the awful spitball/paper ball fight that was started on the bus on the way home from camp one year that I ended up staying to help the bus driver clean up... yes... my husband helped start that. 

Though Wes and I didn't get to talk much the first year at camp (we were both busy with our kids in our cabins and plus the fact that I thought he was dating his sister when I saw them come to camp together), we got talking alot during the last few days and at Sr Youth that summer.

We stayed in touch through MSN (for those of you who remember this, basically like Facebook chat- just not Facebook). 
We talked about our likes and dislikes, our faith and walk with God, and after a while we began to talk about what we look for in a future spouse (I remember saying I wanted somebody who loved God and his family- to which Wes replied I love God and I'm close to my family!). 



Wes in 2006

One week, I went to Wes' youth group at the time (since alot of people from Explorer Camp where there so I thought it would be fun to catch up with them).  I mentioned that I should come by to youth and Wes made it known that they were playing glow in the dark frisbee which would definately be the week to come (though it would mean coming only a few days later).  I didn't think anything of the visit as Wes basically didn't talk to me all night (as I have already said... romantic right?)

The next few weeks, we talked more and more each day.  One day Wes decided to ask my opinion on a dating situation he was in (I was used to be asked these questions by many guy friends- so honestly I thought nothing of it).  He told me he liked a girl from camp but was too shy to ask her out since he didn't know how she felt.  I tried to guess at who he liked (basically if you are a JBC girl- your name was probably mentioned at this point-minus my name). 

Apparently I wasn't catching on...



Our First Picture Together Sept 2006

A few days later, after telling Wes I thought he should go for it (even if the girl said no- it would only mean it wasn't meant to be).  And that is when Wes asked me out...
Yes, the official question of being boyfriend and girlfriend was asked over MSN...

It's funny how God decides to orchestrate all the little details in your life. 

 


2 comments:

  1. I knew you guys met at camp but this is too cute! I'm a hopeless romantic, so this story made me laugh and cry lol I miss you both, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lololol, wes lied to you from the get-go. close with his family :p

    ReplyDelete