Monday 23 July 2012

Painful Anticipation

Have you ever known something painful was going to happen to you- so much so that you anticipate the pain over and over again? 

For me, it's needles.  If I know I am getting a needle I worry about it for a long time, and it makes the actual getting of the needle so much more stressful and worse for me.  Another example: this whole labour thing- I find myself watching those TLC shows... making the thought so much worse than it needs to be.

Wes and I were talking about this yesterday after church-  Do you think Jesus had these same thoughts?  He knew he would be killed by one of the most painful deaths there are his whole life.  Knowing that he was fully human and fully God, we were talking about whether or not he would anticipate the pain as we found most humans do. 

But here is the thing.  After the pain, there is joy.  After the needle, I am healthy.  After the labour, we will have a beautiful baby (boy or girl- not sure yet). 

But Jesus knew the greatest joy, having his children come back to him.  He knew this sacrifice was the only way that we would be able to spend eternity with him.  And through his completely unselfish act, he went through all the pain that came with his death for us... for you... for me.



I think the fact that Jesus was fully human and fully God is so amazing.  He knew the pain that awaited him yet loved us that much to endure it.  Now it's our part to decide whether we will accept his gift to us or not.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that thought! I cannot imagine the pain the Lord went through that he sweat great drops of blood. As for giving birth, I personally am not afraid of labor, but that there will be complications with the labor. My best advice to you is to stop watching those shows lol Talk to your doc or midwife about it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was more at the beginning- I have been reading books so it is getting better- I was just thinking about how much worse it would be to anticipate something like Jesus went through!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like John 16:19-24!

    ReplyDelete