Thursday 5 July 2012

5 Years of Honduras

5 years ago, I was on my way to Honduras- going to take a part of my first out-of-the-country mission trip.  This was the year that I learned so much about myself, the world we live in and most importantly my God. 
Yes I am reminiscing, but the things I learned on this trip are worth remembering!

1.  The Power of Prayer
Even before this trip began, I was able to see prayers answered in clear, amazing ways.  For a few years, I had been trying to get my parents on board with the idea of leaving for a few weeks on a mission trip.  Finally, they agreed!  I had no idea where I wanted to go, but I knew that God would show me if it was meant to be.  A few weeks after my parents agreed, I went to camp.  At camp they talked about sponsoring a Compassion child.  I unfortunately was only 15 and had a job where I worked under 10 hours a week.  I loved the idea of showing God's love to a child somewhere in the world with financial help, but I would only be able to afford half of it.  Well, funny enough, a friend of mine turned to me and voiced the same concern!  So it ended up that we sponsored a child.  We went to the speaker afterwards, but he told us that all of the children he had brought had already been sponsored and he would have to set us up with another child after camp.  We agreed, told him we did not matter where the child was from or if they were a male or female.



So fast forward 3 weeks, I was back on the search for mission trips.  I came across the one to Honduras, it sounded perfect, but I didn't want to jump into anything.  I prayed that God would show me in a clear and obvious way if this was the right trip.  Literally (I kid you not) I said "amen" and my email showed one new message.  Turns out we were paired with a compassion child, and wouldn't you know it, he was from Honduras!  This was my first real encounter with what I clearly knew was answered prayer. 

2.  God is the Same Yesterday, Today and Forever
You know when you read the stories in the Bible of Jesus healing the blind, and doing all these incredible miracles?  How often do we just assume that that was the God of the Bible, but he doesn't do that kind of stuff now?  It was on this trip, that I was able to see God's amazing healing powers in many ways!  One part of the trip was a big concert we put on.  At this concert, we had a time of prayer in which we went out in small groups to pray for those people around us.  One women we meant was unable to walk.  We started praying for her (at this point, I knew God could heal, but I honestly did not expect him to), and a few minutes later she was able to move with full mobility!

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

3.  We are Blessed to Live in Canada
Need I same more?  I LOVE Honduras.  I will always have a place in my heart for Honduras.  But I realize how blessed we are to live in Canada.  How blessed we are to have proper housing, air conditioning (aren't you thankful for that these past few weeks?) and proper food.

My wonderful gift and the beautiful girls who were so kind to share it

That being said, I think we often forget about this.  One little girl at a school we visited while in Honduras was so thankful for a small headband I gave her, that she gave me her beautiful pin she had (I tried to tell her that she did not need to do this, but that is the way they show their gratitude).  I still have this pin, and always remember the joy on these children's eyes everytime we showed up at their schools. 



4.  My Heart Lies With Children's Ministry
I have always loved working with children.  This news was not new to me.  This however was my first time being able to teach to a large crowd of children.  I was so nervous the day I was asked to share my testimony in front of a whole school.  I have always been quiet and though I love teaching, I have never had to speak to a group larger than 10.  God really showed me my passion for speaking to children and just enjoying my time playing with children of all ages. 


5.  I am so Excited for Heaven!
One day at a local church, we were singing a song with the lyrics (in English- "People from every nation and voice from generation to generation, We Worship You").  I loved this song, but nothing compares to hearing all different types of voices (some in Spanish, some English) singing this song.  It really reminded me that the church is everywhere, we are brothers and sisters from all nations and languages.  I am so excited to worship God night and day in heaven with these brothers and sisters!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bre, great testimony. You need to check this out:
    http://vimeo.com/44062510

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay:) I will definately do that!

      I hope you and the family are doing well!

      Delete