Tuesday 24 July 2012

Testimony Tuesday - Vanessa

[As some of you may know, I have been getting together a few testimonies to share over the summer, I have decided to share one each week via Testimony Tuesday-- I hope you enjoy reading stories of how God has been working in the lives of these beautiful women and men of God-- If you would like your testimony to be shared please email me at breezy_218@hotmail.com]

Vanessa has been a close friend of mine ever since we met at Joy Bible Camp back when we were little girl campers.  I have been able to see this wonderful lady grow in the Lord, both through study of the Bible and learning from past experiences.  Vanessa is one of the few ladies I know who truly embodies a quiet and thankful soul.  So enough of my talk- meet Vanessa:)


A few girls from camp--Vanessa is second from the right


At the age of three years old before bedtime .. I prayed with my parents to ask God into my heart. My mother has always been my best friend and (more importantly) my inspiration to live closer to God because she takes hardships in life and allows God to take control of them. This is something I have struggled with all of my life.

About 8 years ago now (2007) when I was in grade seven my mother took ill. She was too weak to get out of bed unless it was for doctors appointments. She was in too much pain to eat or drink or even sleep. Through what felt like 1000's of tests after about 6months .. A doctor revealed to us that they found a lump that could potentially be cancerous.

Watching my mother and best friend go through that kind of pain left me feeling helpless and alone and because of that I fell into a deep depression and turned to self- harm which I believed made me feel better at the time.

It wasnt until I went to a weekend retreat at the alter call that I opened my eyes and realized what I was doing was wrong. I dropped to my knees and surrendered all to God. I appologized for trying to "fix" things MY way and re-commited my life to Him. As tears were streaming down my face in that moment alone between myself and the Lord, I felt a burden lifted off of me and felt physically lighter.

Throughout the days/months that she was sick SEVERAL people were praying individually and in prayer groups for moms healing. What I consider to be God's miracle, she gradually started getting better and what was first pre-diagnosed as cancer was never confirmed. To this day she is still with us and that has taught me to never underestimate the power of prayer.

At age 17 I celebrated my love and Faith in God by being baptized in front of friends that feel more like brothers and sisters(bre being one of them! =]) to me at an AMAZING Godly camp that feels more like a home as both have shaped me in my Christian walk after 12 years! The verse that relates most to me and my walk with the Lord is as follows:

Deuteronomy 31:8:

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you: He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; Do not be discouraged."

< 33

3 comments:

  1. So neat! Great idea to have friends share their journey thus far wtih God. :) Your blog is a neat testimony too Bre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) and I just thought I would give some people the opportunity to share their story (plus I love reading them and seeing God move in big ways!)

      Delete
  2. aww.. thanks for sharing Nessa! <3

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete