Monday 19 December 2011

Worry Free


If anybody knows me.... they know I can tend to worry about silly things (perhaps Wes the best of them all).  I tend to take something small and think about the worst-case scenario.  This past week, my mind has been going crazy putting together these worst-case scenarios. 
Now, that being said if you asked my family, they would say I care too little.... It’s not that I care too little... it’s that I often find myself having to pause and take things a day at a time. 

So does God have anything to say about worrying?  He sure does (and this is only to begin with... there are many other things)
1.       God loves us... he will provide.

Being a student and young wife, I often worry about finances among many other things.  I forget that the things on earth are temporary, and what really matters.  In late August, Wes and I had a lease that was going to expire and no place to live.  With only three days before our move-out day, God blessed us with an apartment that allowed not only a roof over our heads but a good commute time for each of us, so we actually have been able to see each other more during the week. 
Matthew 6:27-29
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. (NLT)

2.      Worrying does not help anything. 

How often do I make these silly stories up, and not only stress myself out... but stress out those around me.  I have learned that just because I get one bad mark on a test... this does not mean I will fail the class, have to drop out of school and in the end, not finish my teaching and math degree.  Who knew?!
Poor Wes often needs to remind me and just tell me to stop, go to sleep and start the next day fresh and new. 

Now on the other hand, if you know somebody who you can see is worried and stress, give them an encouraging word, let them know that each day is new and we need to trust God.

Proverbs 12:25
Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. (NLT)

3.      We need to trust God

Often, God sends trials in our life.  In many cases these trials are the foundation of our worry and stress.  If God knows the plans he has for you, and he has promised that they are plans to prosper rather than harm you, why do we still worry? 
If God does decide to put you through one of these trials, 1 Corinthians promises us that he will provide a way out.  We just need to trust him and his plan (even if we have no idea where it is going). 

Matthew 6:30
And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? (NLT)



Now God has so much more to say about this subject, but as we go into the Christmas season... although it can be stressful (have you been to the malls lately?!?), remember his promises and give your worries to the Lord. 
1 Peter 5:7
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment