Thursday 22 December 2011

Pray for THEM?!


Prayer is a vital part in a Christian’s walk with God.  Often it is through prayer that we are able to see God’s miracles.  If you don’t see your prayer making a difference, one thing I have found useful is to journal the things you are praying for.  Every person, situation and request write down.  Each year or so, come back and read the journal and then try to say that God doesn’t listen to prayer. 

Now, this past year I have found that I have been praying for others around me, people I meet on the bus, school and work more easily than before.  But there is one request God makes of our prayers that I have struggled with:

Matthew 5:44    But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

I hear this but often my heart is more in this condition:





Have you ever been hurt so badly by somebody, that the thought of praying for them, after what they have done to you is just... hard.  Jesus showed us a wonderful example of praying for others... after being beaten, mocked, despised and hung on a cross.... did Jesus pray to God saying “Give them what they deserve”?  Absolutely not, in fact Jesus said “Forgive them for they know not what they are doing”.  FORGIVE THEM!?   Now I don’t know about you, but if I was in that position I would not be in the forgiving mood.  That’s the wonderful thing about Jesus’ love, he loves us unconditionally and prays for us.  Just the thought of the King of the world praying for me is wonderful. 

Now praying for your enemies and those who hurt you is hard... I get it.  But often when we pray for enemies God can use the prayer to change us as well.  Through prayer, we can often gain a new perspective of the person we are praying for.  As we continue to pray for our enemies, it becomes easier to forgive as well.  The fact that you are praying not only for the things you want, your friends and family, but others... it just allows God to work all the more through your life and prayer. 

So just my thought of the day...   when we pray, are we praying with a heart that Jesus had?  Praying for EVERYONE, even those who hurt us?


No comments:

Post a Comment