Thursday 4 April 2013

The Truth About Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is natural, it will come easy to mom and child.
Now that's just not true.  

Breastfeeding is hard, especially in the first few weeks. 
It does get better.  
During my stay at the hospital, I remember being told over and over that I had to get her used to breastfeeding quickly as the first few days were vital to a good breastfeeding experience.
I tried but more often than not, the latch wasn't right or she wasn't getting enough milk or the pain was to the point I had to take a break.
When it was finally time for me to go home, I remember a few feedings I was almost in tears just from the fact that we weren't getting it. 
Peyton was not getting enough food and I felt like it was my fault as her mother.  
I remember thinking that perhaps breastfeeding wasn't for me, 
maybe all the talk about how wonderful it was- maybe that was just the experience of others.
It does get better.

Peyton is now almost 10 weeks old and it has gotten better, it really is a great bonding experience.













If you are just starting breastfeeding please note it does take time, it is hard, but it will get better.

2 comments:

  1. so glad it got better...I remember those first few days were just so confusing. Especially in the hospital. I found once I got home and was able to try myself without the nurse pulling me and pushing the baby's head it made things much easier and more relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes haha some nurses were more... intense than others... haha I probably needed it as I didn't want to push Peyton to do anything but yes- I found day 3-5 the hardest the after the firs week something just clicked. :)

      Delete