Monday 29 April 2013

Lesson 2.2- The Danger of Being a Bad Example

I've been going through these slowly but try to take a look back at the other parts of this parenting study:)


Ezekiel 20:15-26
Vs 18-" I warned their children not to follow in their parent's footsteps..."

Proverbs 22:5-6 
"Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse;
He who guards himself will be far from them.  
Train up a child in the way he should go, 
Even when he is old and he will not depart from it."

We are to guard ourselves from the "thorns and snares".  
So as far as parenting goes, how do we know if something is a thorn? 

Here are some quick questions to ask yourself:

  • Is the example I'm setting something I would want my child doing? 
  • Am I hiding this habit of mine from my child? 
  • Am I setting a Biblical example?

Obviously there are more, but as parents it is our jobs to raise our children for the Lord.  
He has given us this wonderful responsibility, but more often than not we stray from our duties to set good examples. 
That's part of being human though. 
Let God use you in the way He intended, 
and show your child the way to the Lord through your example.  

One of the awesome truths of parenting though is sometimes our children help us work on our downfalls. 
I have learned so much more patience since having Peyton.  
I have had to become more of a gentle person since having my daughter, and I'm positive as she grows she will only help me shape more of myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment