Sunday 18 March 2018

Praying for Your Family

Prayer has always been something that comes naturally to me.  I will easily let others know that I will keep them in my prayers, and in most cases I was true to my word.  But for some reason, praying for those closest to me seemed... tough.

Of course, Wes and I pray with the girls, but it has become almost habitual.  Our prayers are often the same Yub-a-dub-dub thanks for the grub type prayers.  If I am completely honest, it has been a while since I have fallen to my knees in complete awe of the wonder of God and who he is. 
 

These past few weeks, I have never been so convicted of the same thing over and over.  I have felt God teaching me the same lesson, with slight variations, just in case I didn't get it the first time (which to be honest is usually the case).  And each lesson, building one after another.


    1. I have just finished a series about discerning the voice of God, and the thing that hit me hard was the fact that as Christians who fall under the New Covenant, we have complete access to the Holy Spirit.  We no longer have to go through a middle man to speak to God.  God indwells in us.  Of course, for those who grew up in the church this is something we have been taught from a young age.  But think about it deeply...God indwells in us. We are so utterly and completely lucky to be able to have this type of one-on-one communication with God.  Those under the Old Covenant would kill for this opportunity.  
    2. God wants to hear from us.  He wants us to bring him our deepest concerns, but we need to be aware that God has plans that are much bigger than our own.  This is where I started to see how often I treat prayer as a quick get it over with type ordeal.  I need to be in constant communication with God so I can catch glimpses of what it is that He has for me and my family       
      1 John 5:14         This is the confidence we have approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, he hears us.   
    3.  I need to pray for my family.  It's no lie that marriage is hard.  These last few years, Wes and I have learned that more than any other time.  As a wife and mother, I need to be covering my house in prayer.  Satan wants nothing else than to cause strive in the household.  But the amazing thing is, this is not God's will for us.  If I am honest with myself, I have not been praying the way I should for my family.  I need to pray for my marriage, that God will use it to bring glory to only Him.  I need to pray that I can love my husband and children in the way God has loved me.  I need to pray that I am being an example of grace and mercy.  
    4. I need to pray with my husband.  This is where I was convicted the most.  Wes and I have prayed together, but we have not made it a daily habit.  And quite honestly, it's awkward at first.  Funny how you can pray with others, but when praying with your husband... it can feel awkward.  Why is that? I honestly don't believe Satan wants couples praying together.  For good reason.  When couples pray together, families are changed, children notice, and families carve out space to allow God to move.  
I am learning, just how special prayer is.  As a wife and mother, I need to be supporting my household and uplifting each of my family members in prayer.  Please keep our family in prayer as we try to be intentional with our prayer.  







No comments:

Post a Comment