Tuesday 28 May 2013

Cloth Diaper Newbie

As some of you may know, recently I have started cloth diapering. 
I have had a few friends try it out, and while I was pregnant I signed up for a 
program which provides cloth diapers on loan for a very low cost. 

It gave me a chance to find out if cloth diapering was for me. 
Here are the pros and cons I came up with:

Pros

  • Cloth diapers are cute!  They are no longer the old fashion diapers with a pin, but there are many types.  For myself, I find I like pocket diapers that are all-in-one so the diapers Peyton is wearing now, she will fit into all the way into toddler years. 
  • $$$- cloth diapering saves money.  I found new diapers at $7 a piece.  I have 10 diapers plus a few left from my loaner set, and only need to wash once every 2-3 days.  
  • Better for Baby-  there are not nearly as many chemicals as in disposable diapers.  That being said I haven't quite mastered night times with cloth diapers so we use disposables at night for the time being. 

Cons

  • Cleaning does take a bit more work- not for pee diapers but poo ones... yes you have to clean off the poo before washing them (though breastfed baby poo washes easily)
  • Not as easy for days out.  I am currently looking for a wet bag which will make this easier but I find it harder as I don't expect others to take the same love for cloth diapers as I do so when Peyton is in nursery for example or visiting grandparents, I let them chose which diapers they want to use
  • More money upfront-- but again, way less in the long run.  


2 comments:

  1. you are doing great! I am a part time cloth diapering mama. I only do it at home. It gets easier once they're eating solids because the poop just slides right off into the toilet! The wetbag I use is from Wee Huggers and has two zipper compartments. I use it as my purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill have to check those wet bags out :).

      Delete