Friday 12 July 2013

Bre's Story

I'm sure everybody has heard the saying 
Breast is Best
And though it's true, I struggled to breastfeed for a while. 
I'm not going to sugarcoat it- breastfeeding is hard- especially the first few weeks.

I struggled to get Peyton breastfeeding properly while in the hospital.  
She was tongue-tied, and having a C-section I was unable to try the whole thing out until I had woken up from the surgery. 
I pushed and pushed to get her to eat every three hours right on the dot (the nurses ensured I did not miss this time).  
I loathed the feeding time while in the hospital- I felt as though I was hurting her and it always just turned into a crying feast.
My whole time at the hospital, I had to do many of the feedings with half formula half breastmilk, and I felt as though I was failing my daughter and wasn't doing "what women were made to do".  
After much discussion, Wes and I decided to get Peyton's tongue-tie snipped.  It was not enjoyable watching my poor baby in pain, but I knew it was a good step so that we could do this breastfeeding thing (and better get it done when they don't remember than later in life).  

From every mom I've talked to who has decided to breastfeed, there is one feeding in the day four time that is just not fun.  You are tired, you have had no luck with this feeding thing, and it just feels as though nothing is going right. 

I cried. 

I remember Wes telling me that no matter how we fed our daughter, as long as she was healthy and loved, everything would be okay. 
At the time, I felt like he was just saying this to make me happy- and who knows maybe he was. 
But there is truth in his words. 

Luckily, once this feeding was over things started looking up. 

Peyton is now five and a half months old, and I breastfeed her still. 
Every now and again, I feed her formula too. 
As long as she is getting the nutrition she needs, I am happy.  

If you are in that beginning stage- stick with it, it will get better.  
If you are unable to breastfeed and are interested- talk to a lactation consultant.  
If you have decided to formula feed- don't feel guilty, your child is healthy and happy!




Good thing my friends have good humour towards my breastfeeding
Luckily I have since got a cover that makes it easier:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment