Sunday 7 July 2013

Shauna's Story

My son Hunter has been exclusively breastfed his entire 5.5 months of life. 
I chose to breastfeed him because I figured it was the most natural and logically, don't forget CASH FRIENDLY choice of all my options. Breastfeeding wasn't easy for me. I spent many nights up crying, fighting with this little stubborn boy to latch on properly and to nurse effectively. I had many roadbumps with my milk supply when Hunter came down with pneumonia at 5 weeks and went on a nursing strike. I have overcome my shyness of breastfeeding in public, boy, that took a while!
And trying to find a way that worked for both Hunter and I. I think I speak for both of us when I say, we have both really enjoyed our breastfeeding journey. 
It is reassuring that he is getting all his nutrition and immunities from me. And it's neat to think that the 9 pounds he has gained since birth are all thanks to my hardworking body. I am returning to school in September and am disappointed that I have to wean Hunter and start using formula. 

I will miss the bonding time it has given us and the peace it brings to him when he is startled and frantic. I believe breastfeeding is difficult and not for everyone, but in my case, was the right choice. I feel I have given my baby the best start to life that I could. 

Shauna Guthrie 


"Countless women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren't sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form" - Christine Northrup

No comments:

Post a Comment