Wednesday 8 January 2014

23 Things You Can Do Along With Being Engaged/Married

While scrolling through my facebook I came along this post.

Now, before I begin, I think being single is a great thing, and some people are called to be single.

But... some people are not - and that is great as well.
This post goes to describe the trend of getting married younger and younger (which I disagree is a trend... but that's another topic)

I actually found it quite offensive when reading these statements:

"How to budget for your prom AND your wedding in the same year!"
"What's HOT: Kids raising Kids."

"Why your Mom doesn't really know what she's talking about."

For those who don't know, I was engaged at 18, married at 19, and pregnant at 20.  
Yes, I realize I was young.  
But I don't regret it one bit. 
And unlike the writer points out, I am not inexperienced with travelling (I have been to 4 of the continents thus far), I am still getting my higher education and have always stuck to my career path, and I did realize that marriage only happens once and have made a vow I plan to keep 20,30 or 50 years down the road.  
Okay.... I admit I was inexperienced with one thing she mentioned- Sex.  But for me that was a choice to wait until marriage, and again I am so glad I waited for my husband to share that with.  

This writer goes on to write 23 things that you can do instead of being engaged (over half of them I have done while engaged, married and a mom but who wants to read the same list twice).  
So here we go : 
23 Things You Can Do Along With Being Engaged/Married:
  1. Travel with your husband and/or family (WHAT?! You're telling me being married doesn't mean you are stuck in one place forever?!)
  2. Get a higher education 
  3. Have dance parties (we honestly have these every night it seems....)
  4. Laugh at each other 
  5. Follow your dreams
  6. Pig out and have a movie night 
  7. Have a girls night out (Yes... being married does not mean you have to spend every moment with your spouse)
  8. Try that DIY project you have been dying to try out 
  9. Have a partner that you can share your deepest thoughts with
  10. Plan your wedding (yes... I found this fun even though I had exams only one day before getting married)
  11. Read a book 
  12. Scrapbook or Crochet
  13. Go out dancing
  14. Make a birthday cake (This I have tried.... not my finest moment)
  15. Go to an amusement park
  16. Once you have kids you can literally be as silly as you want (it's for the kids right?)
  17. Get to know those older couples that can guide you along in your marriage 
  18. Go swimming in the middle of the night 
  19. Try that one thing you have always been afraid to do 
  20. Encourage each other 
  21. Know that you are the only one for each other (yes.. unlike the previous post you cannot date two people at the same time... but why would you want to?)
  22. Plan for the future
  23. Grow spiritually

No comments:

Post a Comment