Tuesday 31 January 2012

Fairy Tale Love

I was reading my friend's blog (check it out: http://livingasasinglegal.blogspot.com/2012/01/one.html) along with watching a show, which put together really got me thinking.  


As 90's girl I grew up watching Disney fairy tales.  You know, the ones where princess finds one true love, they fall in love and finally they live happily ever after.  Chick flicks, romance novels and every other possible type of media outlet shows us how love truly is.  Once you get married, everything is perfect- you get your big house, your 2 children and 1 family pet and everybody is happy.  

Let's be honest.  Love is nothing like this.  So often we try to model our relationships after these relationships, which only turns out to disappoint us.  The greatest love is that that Christ showed us (so great that he laid down his own life for us... thinking about the fact that the King of the Universe died for me... unreal).  

Now, don't get me wrong.  I do love my husband and he loves me, but we cannot lean fully on this and say that because we love each other it will be wonderful forever.  Humans fail, and because of this mistakes will be made.  

Instead of trying to find (or make your spouse) into "Prince Charming", accept each other's faults and work on showing each other the type of love that is explained in 1 Corinthians 13.  Work with each other and build each other up.  Let God's love pour into you so much that it overflows to your partner.  

I'm sorry to say that if you are waiting for your prince to sweep you off your feet, he may come (if that is God's plan) but eventually every prince will get tired and may need to put you down for a bit.  There's only one Prince that has perfect love.    





"No one falls in love by choice, it's by chance.  No one stays in love by chance, it's by work.  And no one falls out of love by chance, it's by choice."

2 comments:

  1. ah! I love that quote at the end. Great thought Bre! It's definatly something that I've been thinking about lately too (good to know I'm not the only one! ha!)
    Ps- thanks for the "shout-out!"

    ReplyDelete