Friday 16 March 2012

Super Server.

Lately, I have been reading a book called "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver (for those of you who have not read this book I highly suggest it!), and I have been challenged with so many ideas.  

Though I have thought about this story many times before (check it out: Busy Busy), this book takes the simple story and really challenges the thoughts we may have as followers of Jesus.  

One of the most recent chapters talked about serving in the church.  
Did you know that statistics show that 20% of the church does 80% of the serving.   I know I for one though have sometimes felt that the more projects I take on, the closer I can get to God (wait... I thought good works don't do this?).  
You see, this is exactly what Martha was thinking.  She wanted to serve Jesus by preparing him a wonderful dinner and making sure everything for the night was just perfect.  The thing was, Jesus only wanted one thing (though the dinner was nice), and that was for Martha to spend time with him...just quality time.  

As the book reads:
"How easy it is to confuse duty with devotion; the common with communion.  That was Martha's downfall... For in her effort to set a table worthy of the Son of God, she nearly missed the real banquet.  And I too, can get so overwhelmed that my worship becomes work rather than delight, and devotion becomes just another duty."


Now, do not get me wrong - God loves when we use our gifts for his glory-, but let's not allow what is meant to be a gift to God become a hindrance in our faith.  Be open-minded to the types of service he may call you to, don't think that you are meant to do every single thing (God gave different gifts to different people for a reason).  
 
God allows us to serve him, but he came to earth so we could know him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment